Philosophy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Administration, configuration, etc.

+2
baden511
jamalrob
6 posters

Go down

Administration, configuration, etc. Empty Administration, configuration, etc.

Post by jamalrob Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:19 pm

So far I've left this forum in a rudimentary state. There are several reasons for this:

1. I'm an invalid right now and find it difficult, slow and frustrating to use the computer, so I'd need another admin to help out
2. We don't really know what's going on at PF, or what's going to happen
3. I don't know the costs involved in running this forum with the kind of traffic and storage requirements that PF gets. It's free for now but only because we haven't reached the limits, and I haven't looked into exactly what they are
4. I don't know if this platform would be the best way to recreate the PF community with respect to other things like functionality; there might be better things out there.

To reiterate, we need to wait and see, but in my opinion it's not looking good for PF. Anyone willing to help out, let me know.
jamalrob
jamalrob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Administration, configuration, etc. Empty Re: Administration, configuration, etc.

Post by baden511 Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:57 pm

I'll pitch in, mate.
baden511
baden511

Back to top Go down

Administration, configuration, etc. Empty Re: Administration, configuration, etc.

Post by mayor of simpleton Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:57 pm

I am seriously webpage illiterate, but if there is anything I can do to help (that I understand or can be explained to me) I'll do my best.

Meow!

GREG
mayor of simpleton
mayor of simpleton

Back to top Go down

Post by jorndoe Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:27 pm

jamalrob wrote:
3. I don't know the costs involved in running this forum with the kind of traffic and storage requirements that PF gets. It's free for now but only because we haven't reached the limits, and I haven't looked into exactly what they are
4. I don't know if this platform would be the best way to recreate the PF community with respect to other things like functionality; there might be better things out there.

To reiterate, we need to wait and see, but in my opinion it's not looking good for PF.
Assuming PF is dead/dying, I'm thinking Philosophy Now may still be a viable, free option - they may have bandwidth/resources/backups to handle what makes a site reasonably good technically, on the backend.
As some have noticed, the noise ratio over there doesn't exactly help quality, yet that's something that can be improved upon (e.g. if some former PF moderators start moderating over there).

And now to something completely different - the Canadian federal election results are in.
The Canucks have spoken: Conservatives (Harper) are out, and the Liberals (Trudeau) are in.
jorndoe
jorndoe

Back to top Go down

Post by jamalrob Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:51 pm

jorndoe wrote:
jamalrob wrote:

To reiterate, we need to wait and see, but in my opinion it's not looking good for PF.
Assuming PF is dead/dying, I'm thinking Philosophy Now may still be a viable, free option - they may have bandwidth/resources/backups to handle what makes a site reasonably good technically, on the backend.
As some have noticed, the noise ratio over there doesn't exactly help quality, yet that's something that can be improved upon (e.g. if some former PF moderators start moderating over there).

And now to something completely different - the Canadian federal election results are in.
The Canucks have spoken: Conservatives (Harper) are out, and the Liberals (Trudeau) are in.
Thanks Jorn. Here's the current of my thoughts on this now: https://philosophyforum.forumotion.com/t8-software-and-hosting-options-for-pf2

Philosophy Now seemed like a decent option at first but it's pretty low quality and the chances of staging a moderation coup seem slim. Really, though, I just don't like the feel of the place.
jamalrob
jamalrob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanover Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:42 pm

I'll help out as well. My concern about this site is in promoting it other than by grabbing the old PF regulars. We will need to be sure it pops up in Google searches or we'll grow old talking to one another.

What exactly does do the Canadians contribute to the world anyway?
Hanover
Hanover

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanover Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:50 pm

How do I load in a picture of myself? It's not home until I have a picture of myself on my desk.
Hanover
Hanover

Back to top Go down

Post by jamalrob Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:22 pm

Hanover wrote:How do I load in a picture of myself?  It's not home until I have a picture of myself on my desk.
In the menu at the top click "Profile" and then click the "Avatar" tab, and that should get you to the screen where you can upload an image.
jamalrob
jamalrob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciceronianus Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:48 pm

I thought of using "Macaronianus" here but have invested too much in "ciceronianus" to let it go. Now, though, I've decided to use the large case "C", so I'm no longer a ciceronian; I'm THE ciceronian, St. Jerome be damned. Also, mayor called me "Big C" when letting me know of this place.
Ciceronianus
Ciceronianus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum